Friday, August 04, 2006

Small Victories Encourage My Heart

How is it that even at young ages (3 1/2 and 2) children know how to irritate one another? Where do they learn it? My husband and I don't model that. Yes, we tease one another, but not just flat out IRRITATE one another. I often look at my children in action and have to laugh. They are such a sweet reminder of original sin at its best, and why each of us are in desperate need of a Savior.
Yesterday, Clark and Foster were playing Robin Hood (surprise, surprise!) and got quite "physical" in their sword fighting. I was tempted to get involved and nip the whole thing in the bud, but I'm so glad that I just let them work it out themselves. Tears came to my eyes as I heard my diplomatic Foster say "Let's not get really mad at each other. We really ARE just playing." Clark replied with, " Yeah! We're on the same team. We're best buddies. Let's go fight the bad guys." " I melted. It's the little victories, that often go unrecognized, that so encourage my heart.
Little by little, step by step, day by day-it is our prayer that our precious ones know how much they are loved and following His example, love others.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, this post gave me so much hope. We have just entered the "hurting each other with our words" phase...I long for the types of conversations your boys are having!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Matt and Amy Snow said...

I'm so glad. Like I said-it's the small victories. It is encouraging to hear them talk about being on the same team/seeing them help one another/stick up for one another. Reality is that it takes so much effort to direct things in that manner. The temptation is to allow them to "just be boys", "duke it out", etc., but that's not how I want them to resolve conflict in other relationships, so why let them escalate to that with their dearest friend? I hope I'm clear that I do let them argue/express angry emotions, but I/we strive to keep it at an appropriate dull roar. Just wait until they start convicting you with your own words. Talk about humble pie!:)
Amy

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home