Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I Wonder How Often I Do This....

We were at the zoo yesterday ( a great retry after our last visit :) ), and I did something that became very eye opening for me. We were leaving the zoo after having a WONDERFUL time together playing/laughing/chasing/etc. (We basically had the whole place to ourselves for the 6+ hours----I guess people in their right minds don't want to be there when it's 42' and overcast :)) Anyway, we were leaving and I had promised the kids they could have one more turn each to drop a piece of change in this "thing" and watch it go spinning around. (They had already done it at least 4 times upon entry. I guess we just love to "support" the zoo. :)) I didn't have anymore change, but "Mimi" did and began to dig it out.

As she was looking for it, Clark said, "Mimi do you have 3, please."
I QUICKLY (without a pause/thinking it through) replied, "No Clark. Don't be greedy. I said you each can have ONE turn."
Clark-with a confused/innocent look "Yes Mama. I was just asking if she had three---one for Foster, Elizabeth, and me. I didn't want three turns for myself."

Talk about a humbling experience. I totally jumped to conclusions. I heard a statement, formulated an immediate response, and then blurted it out---all without stopping to think there might be a different idea/motive/reason that I had not considered. I hate to say it, but I immediately criticized my son's request and assumed his motives were not pure. (Of course he's human and they often are, but I didn't take at all into consideration his thoughtful/caring/loving personality.)

I've wondered many times since yesterday--how often do I do this? Not just with my kids, but with my dear husband, friends, family, etc. How often do I take the cynical route and put a slant on others actions that isn't true/fair/accurate? It is my sincere prayer that I take the time to look for (and find) the best in people, especially those I love. I am thankful that the Lord teaches me/humbles me daily---often through interacting with my precious kiddos.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Good thoughts, sister! I know I am guilty of doing this frequently.

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home