Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Plague?!!!!!!

Two Saturdays ago, Elizabeth woke up not really seeming like herself. As the morning progressed, her temp went up to 104' as she layed cheerfully on the couch. The true clue that she felt yucky was that she had no desire to read, paint, play playdough, or "pwincess-es." Her cough progressed and we went to the doc Sunday. ?Croup/antibiotics to prevent any serious lung infection/cough medicine. My plans were cancelled Sat-Tues as her fever continued, then finally subsided. We had lots of "girl-time" :).
I left Thursday for Baltimore for a "cousins" trip with my brother and cousins-----what a fabulous time of laughter, sightseeing, catching up, and rejuvenation. I didn't realize how much of a blessing the time away was until I've come home to face the "plague" AGAIN.
Clark (who seemed fine most of the weekend) had a 103.8' fever Sunday evening with AWFUL coughs throughout the night. I was scheduled to be at work on Monday, but truly couldn't leave my little man feeling like that. I took him to the doctor, upped his asthma meds and are trying our hardest to keep him off of steroids. We'll see. His fever (and frequent asthma attacks )continue.
Elizabeth didn't quite seem herself, but no fever/complaints, Monday night. With credit to the Holy Spirit, I checked on her about an hour after she went to sleep and found my precious angel BURNING with fever. Yep--103.8 with a classic fifth disease rash beaming on her face/arms/trunk. Coughs continue. I returned to the doctor this morning with E (and frequently got the "weren't you just here yesterday?" from the staff :)). Yep---fifth disease and PNEUMONIA!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!! Pneumonia! Anyway, 1 shot and LOTS of tears later, we returned home to heal up.
And side note, while I was in Baltimore, Gaga (Matt's mom) was admitted to the hospital x 3 days for an awful allergic reaction to antibiotics. Her lungs/skin is fried and she is supposed to be on total bed/voice rest. For anyone that remotely knows Gaga, you know that pigs will fly before that ever totally happens. My 3 and 4 year olds are being more compliant :). Please pray for her as she tries to obey doctor's orders and recovers.
Oh---Clark's turtle Timmy died (once again while I was out of town :) )and I'll have to blog about that later. 1st pet, brought by Santa from the North Pole (favorite gift), totally adored, and alive here less than 2 weeks. I couldn't lie to him anymore (we'd been moving him around the terarium and reporting him to be hibernating while we worked on a replacement), so I had to tell him. Tough news for a sick 4 year old "dad" to swallow. Much more to come on this.
Anyway, I'm reminded that while the past week or so has not been the easiest ever, there are SO many parents who would love to trade places with me. So many parents that have to watch helplessly as their children hurt or face life threatening/taking diseases. This realization encourages me to be more grateful for what is and stop whining for what isn't.
*****I'm sure I could use this realization in other areas of my life, too :). It's a work in progress!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

I'm so sorry to hear that the kids are feeling so yucky! I hope they recover quickly. So sorry about the turtle too!

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home